I began the binding process on this today. I cut it into a circle. Not sure what it will turn out to be - but looking forward to carrying it around and hand-stitching on it a bit before calling it done. I am also secretly plotting what to paint next to give it this aged, been buried in the dirt quality that I think I am liking.
It's slow-going on all projects right now. I have lost focus a bit, but still working things around in my head, laying things out, sewing things up, thinking in circles...
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
I was liking this thing less and less the more I worked on it. I machine stitched into the green/blue fabric with a radial kind of plan. It had a crispness or cleanness or something that I really did not like. The color choice was wrong, lots of things. Whatever the problems I decided to use it to revisit something I had done a few years ago on a piece that I gave away. I completed all the stitching and then dampened the entire thing with water and painted it with diluted Setacolor transparent fabric paint in a brown/rust color. Let it air dry - skipped the ironing step of setting the paint - and then washed it in just water and dried it. Now it looks like I accidentally buried it in the yard for a year or so and then dug it up. Much better.
Friday, November 6, 2009
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Worked on this last night right before going to bed. I thought this block was called "night and day". But I like to make the lights and darks rather close in value so that the pattern disappears and reappears. A dark fabric in one block might represent a light triangle against a darker fabric in another block.