Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Hands and Feet

This quilt technically started in July. We went on a weekend trip with my husband's family and one of our projects was printing all of the kids' hands and feet onto fabric. My sister in-laws and I had discussed what would become of these prints, but we kept it a secret from my mother-in-law, Jerry even though she was there and helped us with the kids and the printing. We just said we would be using these for something later on.

Jerry has made beautiful hand-quilted baby quilts for each of her six grandchildren. She has taught me what I know about quilting and I really wanted to make a quilt for her that would be from all of her grandchildren.




I machine quilted everything except around the hands and feet - I carefully quilted around those by hand, right up to the edge of the paint. My favorite was the one(s) done by my nephew, James. He used two pieces of fabric (yellow and blue) and overlapped his hands and foot print.

I machine quilted some circles into the white borders here and there between all the lines.

When I mentioned at Christmas time that I was working on secret projects - this was the one - but I just couldn't get it done in time. Jerry's birthday was last weekend and we gave it to her then. I think we may have surprised her - which is fun.

When I was done with this quilt I was thinking it was the biggest thing I may ever make. But now that I have stepped away from it for only a week or so I am starting to think big again. Two big quilts - very long term - for my boys.

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing gift! I love everything about it - the fabrics, the quilting, the design, and the memories. But, most of all I love you for this special gift from the heart! Thank you.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerry-
    I am SO glad you like it. It was lots of fun to make. I got to know those hands and feet pretty well. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes - a wonderful gift from the heart - all those sweet fingers and toes, what a treasure!

    ReplyDelete