Tuesday, January 14, 2014

...and back to the leaves

I copied the winter sketch from the previous post onto a fabric block and stitched most of the lines on the machine as I had planned to do. It wasn't quite right, I didn't like it as I had liked the drawing, which was frustrating because I was sure I had it all figured out before I started. I even tried 2 more times working with other colors, less machine stitching, still not right. Something was lost after I planned it out so carefully, or because I did.

Last night I drew branches and oak leaves directly onto a fabric block and started hand stitching the lines. I stitched a little more on it today. Feeling much better.



I always have very high expectations for the start of a new year and new work and that always makes it tricky.



I will be following some simple lines for awhile because lately it's been too easy to think too hard about everything. All is a little muddled.

It's too soon to start thinking about spring, but that's also what I am going to do.

4 comments:

  1. love those soft muted colours you are working with and I love that leaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny and thank you. These fabrics were a few of the things to come out of the last pot of walnut brown. They are much more natural than there original selves.

      Delete
  2. Your work seems to call for hand stitching...and you have a natural affinity for it. Love these quiet leaves and buds thinking about Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. I have been thinking my machine stitching needs to be a part of the background, maybe structural and quiet, and always leave the drawn lines to the hand stitching. I still want to combine them. I can't find the time needed to put as many stitches as I would like into what I am doing, unless I manage to compliment the hand with the machine. We will see.

      Delete