Friday, October 10, 2014

studio and golden

I tidied the studio this week in moments between computer work and everything else. It was time - it just wasn't much fun to be in there it was getting so crazy. I feel like I can think more clearly now. A tidy is also always a nice reminder that I don't need any more fabric probably ever. Lots of to do/to sew things resurfaced. I am so happy to have found my favorite tiny embroidery scissors and altoid tin full of straight pins - both of which had been missing since spring.



The fall light is completely different which can feel pretty tough on a cold rainy day - lots of dark corners. It seems like it changed kind of fast. I think there will be lots of shuffling around of the lamps all over the house.



This week, I finished one thing started long ago. I started piecing this compass rose almost 3 years ago, when our Beandog passed away. It doesn't sound right at all that it was that long ago. I finished the piecing not long after I started it. The stitching has been done for awhile too and the little quilt has been keeping me company in the studio all this time. So I finally made it into the big cushion cover I had always intended it to be - just in time for Beandog's favorite time of year. She always had a sassy little burst of puppy energy in the fall when the heat of the summer was over.

9 comments:

  1. love that cushion, it's a thing of beauty!

    am trying to get my studio sorted as well, congratulations on your successful outcome, it looks organized and welcoming; there is still so much stuff in mine that I'm quite sure I'll never get round to using, so I must take the plunge and get rid of it, one way or another.......I definitely need more breathing space, haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have many more things to get rid of! I am learning - the less I have the more time I have to do.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I like the way the golds glow against the dark brown.

      Delete
  3. it's so good finding those special tools, materials & UFOs! I have been looking for a pair of tiny emeralds (each one is less than half the size of a pinhead) that are stashed in one of the boxes, they haven't surfaced in the past 5 moves since 1990 but I live in hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few things like that too and still hoping I find them.

      Delete
  4. I always feel that clearing out is a mental thing as much as a physical. Am in the midst of one myself right now and feeling better already! Your compass rose cushion is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clearing things away does feel great. Now I have to deal with all the things I shoved out into the hallway to clear the studio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My studio is certainly due for a clean-up and reorganization! It's inspiring to see yours.

    ReplyDelete