Wednesday, April 23, 2014

just a few more of the sugar maples :: love of leaves














I hope you won't get tired of me talking about leaves and trees, because here I go again with the sugar maples. We have large old sugar maple trees surrounding our house and I like the idea of honoring their many years of shade and protection by making things for our house with images of sugar maple leaves. The same trees have also given us sap for maple syrup. Our house would feel very exposed without these trees. I worry they won't always be here but they have been with this house much longer than we have.



















I took down several insulating curtains this week and now this little entry room at the front of the house is letting the light in and there's this little curtain panel on the door. It's a piece of osnaburg with three raw edges and I like it fine but have been imagining adding something to it for awhile.















I might stitch over the black marker lines someday or maybe not. I might also paint the lower leaves and the other half of those green ones yellow in the fall, or I might not.






































Over the next few weeks a few other folks and I will be drawing, painting and or stitching some leaves  together or whatever they might want to sew. I am excited about that. It's silly that it took me so long to just ask.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful leaves.......Is the cat on the lookout for the postie or maybe the milk delivery? Such a funny photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cat has been allowed to roam outside a few afternoons recently and she's always watching for a chance to get out again.

      Delete
  2. LOOK AT THAT CAT! too funny ;>]]
    Luv visiting here & seeing what's *leafing out* ... a fine project indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christi. So happy you were here and thank you.
      My husband refinished that door, so dangling from the sill by her scratchy little claws is kind of frowned upon. But... we like seeing her little face peering out when we are outside and she is in.

      Delete
  3. loving these leaf posts and your economy of line~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about how many stitches might be involved if I were to stitch these lines helps in the simplifying.

      Delete
  4. love the mathematics of your arrangements...
    so we don't have the only crazy cat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of fun to mix the organic shapes with the organization and measuring.
      and Eva is definitely a little crazy. She keeps the mood light with her acrobatics.

      Delete
  5. I love these leaves...the lines, the formal arrangement, the color, the shapes....everything. You are inspiring some lovely work in others as well.
    Eva is a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leaves are pretty inspiring.
      and I wish I could get a good photo of Eva with our pup. They are really a hoot together.

      Delete
  6. love what you did up there.a perfect window treatment. i've taken some previously dyed cloth and am mimicking the leaves in the cloth with pen. thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely. They are as fun to draw as they are to stitch.

      Delete
  7. I love this idea. I have lots of pressed leaves and am going to start. What kind of fabric paint do you use? Janet Wright, Friday Harbor Wa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pressed leaves work very well and make it easy to trace the contour of the leaves and then draw in the veins by hand. I am using Pebeo Setacolor Transparent fabric paint. I used to be able to get it locally at the craft store, but lately I have to order from Dharma Trading Co. The paint is a lot of fun.

      Delete
  8. Love this piece!!!! So cool!! I did make a tad more progress on my beaded leaf...actually, today I did several inches but didn't post another pic....http://www.robbiespawprints.blogspot.com/2014/04/countdown-is-on.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful, Robbie! Thanks for sharing and nice to see how far you have come with the beading.

      Delete